Parsons Peebles have been making electric motors and generators (rotating electrical machines) in Edinburgh, Scotland since 1898 and from 1903 to 2000 at East Pilton, Edinburgh. However, mergers between various British Engineering Companies have led to the business trading under different names, particularly in recent years, and of course motor nameplates reflect this history.
In 2000 the firm’s factory & offices were re-located to Wood Road, Rosyth, Fife, Scotland, UK, within the Royal Dockyard, very close to the continental ferry terminal. The postal address is Wood Road, Royal Dockyard, Rosyth, Dunfermline, KY11 2EA.
Parsons Peebles company history
- 1898 - Original business formed by DAVID Bruce Peebles
Bruce Peebles & Company Limited set up the Tay Works, Bonnington, Leith, Edinburgh
- 1904 - Bruce Peebles - main electrical contractor to the first UK Hydro-Electric scheme AT CWM DYLI IN NORTH WALES
1st commissioned in 1906. Uprated in 1987 from 5MW to 10MW output
- 1969 - Bruce Peebles Industries merged with Reyrolle Parsons, Newcastle
Re-named Parsons Peebles Limited, Motor & Generator Division (including the C A Parsons factory at Witton, Birmingham, previously part of GEC)
- 1975 - Awarded the Queens Award for Export Achievement
- 1989 - Became part of Rolls-Royce
- 2000 - Re-located to Rosyth, Scotland
Peebles Electrical Machines Limited re-located to Wood Road, Royal Dockyard, Rosyth
- 2013 - Business acquired by Clyde Blowers Capital